Whether you’re single or dating, seeing someone or in an “it’s complicated” situation, WHO CARES! Remember Valentine’s day in elementary… handing out little cards, decorating mailboxes, eating candy and cupcakes. It was the one day of the year that I was actually excited to go to school! We might be a little bit older, but who says the candy and cards have to stop! Here’s a little list of old school ways to have a great valentines day!
One more note! Galentine’s day could be with your friends, but don’t forget about the other gals in your life, your mom, and gramgram!
- Baking: Anything food related already makes the best day ever! If it’s shaped like hearts (call me extra) but it makes it so much yummier
- Movies: Find our list to less cliche Valentines day movies here! Perfect for chillin on the couch with your pals and some chocolate
- WINE: If you’re in a cold climate…try some ice wine it will change your life! Put it on some ice cream or drink it straight like I will
- Arts & crafts: paint a picture (if you’re not an artist don’t worry, just add some wine), Make cute earrings or french bracelets, Colour!
- Play with make up & Dress up: Bring it back to when we were younger and playing dress up was the most fun
- Treat yourself: Buy yourself something that you’ve been wanting for a while. Of course, keep it reasonable – remember we are still broke girls
- If you’re a social media fanatic (#likeme) why not spread the love on social media as well: Comment on pals pictures, or post a story that brightens your day and you think will brighten others (maybe a pic of a golden retriever?)
- Right a letter to yourself: I did this at a Yoga workshop! We wrote a letter to ourselves and the instructor mailed them out! I can’t wait to get mine in the mail 🙂 Since mail these days is all bills and ads why not add some self love into the mix! While you’re at it… why not mail some of your closest (in proximity or far way) pals a letter too
- Cook yourself (or order in) your favourite meal! There is nothing like a delicious dinner to make you smile! You don’t have to go on a dinner date to eat your fave foods, just #treatyourself
- Put on a facemask and have a spa day You can do this by yourself, with your mum, or with your pals! There is no better day to pamper yourself than Valentines day, so create an at home spa and relax!
I know there’s people out there that believe Valentines Day is just another commercial marketing corporate scam, but you know what I say to that?? WHO CARES if it is! It’s a day that we can remind the people around us that we appreciate them. Not to forget, it’s a day that we can remind ourselves that we appreciate ourselves too. #selflove
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY LADIES
Single Girls + Wine + Valentine’s Day = MOVIE NIGHT
The equation is simple but picking the movie might not be. Here’s a few movies to help you narrow down your choices! These are hand picked and will be watched with our hands in a bowl of popcorn!
Back with the Ex
interesting… Reality show onNetflix
SET IT UP!
LOVE AND HONOR
WOLF OF WALL STREET
THIS MEANS WAR
MR & MRS SMITH
MANHATTEN LOVE STORY
THAT AWKWARD MOMENT
IN A RELATIONSHIP
or you could just spend hours watching trailors…
xoxox enjoy…. 😉
BARCA! You a special place in my heart. I didn’t have any expectations but a good time and a good time is forsure what I got. I was in Barcelona for about 6 days which was a great amount of time, a bit too long but also I didn’t do and see everything on my list. I stayed in the Urbany Hostel which I am so lucky because it was in walking distance to almost everything. I created this list so that you can also be in walking distance to everything. That does mean bring good and comfortable walking shoes. I normally do not complain about shoes but even I had to buy little sneakers for the rest of my exploring…Then it started pouring with rain so those little sneakers were soaking wet and I had to buy an umbrella. So be prepared for almost anything… oh and keep in mind the siesta time because they are not kidding…when it’s time to nap oh its time to nap! This just means that the little local stores and restaurants are going to be closed. I found that it tended to start around 3:30/4 and ended around 7:30ish and sometimes 9. So make sure that you have your snacks and water ready! I noticed that the chains like burger king and McDonalds were still open so there’s always that option so you’re not hangry in Barca! Also here’s a little tip Head to the supermarket- like carrefour get some snacks there is a ready to eat counter at most of them! Also you can eat your snacks at Parc Guell, on the beach at the Bonkers!
I organized the list in the order that flowed well with proximity ! I hope it helps!
Bonkers del Carmel – This is a great view point! It is quite a climb up and we did have to crawl over and under a few barriers. I’m not totally sure if this is a city approved location or just a local hangout but it has an amazing view of the city also a great place to watch the sunset or have a picnic.
About a 16 minute walk to…
Parc Guell MUST MUST MUST Get your tickets to see the mosaic benches a head of time! It just guarentees you a time to view them and you don’t have to wait in line. The benches are really pretty and they do give you a great view point of the parc and the entire city! But it is free to walk around the parc and go up the mosiac steps. If you do one thing in Barcelona it should be to see this park. Also if you post one pic on instagram from your time in Barca it should be from this park…it is just so picturesque! Good job Gaudi!
About a 24 minute walk to…
Sagrada Familia – Be organized and Buy your tickets online! From my experience you should probably book a few days in advance! The outside is really cool, like no other building I have ever seen before and of course pictures to ot do it justice for its beauty. I was not organized and did not get to see the inside but that is on my list for next time. The friends that I made said the inside was even more breathtaking than the outside.
About a 20 minute walk is a really great place for brunch at Firebug Restaurant! Such amazing and food that will fill you up for all the walking you’re about to do. The prices were very reasonable! And you can actually see the Arco de Triunfo from the patio of the restaurant.
About a 4 minute walk to…
Arc de triunfo – It is very pretty and again great for people watching! I sat on a bench and journaled for a few hours. There is a big park that you can definitely walk around or have a picnic if the weather is great!
About a 22 minute walk to…
Casa Batllo – skeleton Balaconies – there is a museum to go inside – since I was on a budget I did not go through the museum – I came to barcelona for three reasons… the tapas, the nightlife and casa batllo. This building did not disappoint! Highly recommend that while you get your steps in that you walk past this beautiful place.
About a 17 minute walk to…La Boqueria – the most amazing food market – walk around check what there is and then walk around a second time – there is so much food, fresh food, enchiladas, freshly squeezed juice, crepes – bring cash – there’s a little atm right outside of it and one further down the street – don’t stress – you can get fresh juice from 1 Euro and like empanada for 3 euros and a full crepe that will need some help finishing for 8 euros. If you keep going along the street you will find…
La Rambla – Shopping !! Shall I say more! All the best european brands are steps away! Check out Stradivarius and Bershka some of the coolest clothes.
About 8 minute walk to…
Barcelona Cathedral – in gothic quarters – another great barcelona building that has so much beauty in a very gothic looking neighborhood.
About a 17 minute walk to…
Barcelonetta – The beach!! This beach is quite a long one! Taking a long walk down it is the most relaxing and there’s benches to sit and be nostalgic! Be careful I’m gonna warn you…I did see a couple of rats sooo just watch your step 😉 There is also great people watching
FC Barcelona Camp Nou – book in advance too – I didn’t have time to do this but the friends that I made really enjoyed their time on this tour, they are also big soccer (football) fans. When I go back to Barca I will definitely put this near the top of my list.
Have an extra day – Fountain of Montjuic – check for fountain show times they do change them per the season
- Great view of the city – can take a gondola up or hike if you have the time
For Midnight adventures ! Just a heads up the Spanish start eating dinner at 9 and I’m sure you’re familiar with tapas so they keep eating till around 12 and then hit the disco! …They also don’t come home till about 6 in the morning (see why the siesta time is so important!) Ahah so what I did was eat dinner at 9, then sneak off back to the room and nap for a couple hours and wake up at midnight ready to drink my cervesa. I went to the club Opium, it is definitely one of the best clubs I have ever been to. Really good music (worldwide top 40’s), such a great vibe it was right on the beach (but be careful because I saw a girl’s purse get snatched while she was making out with a guy on the beach). I remember the cover being a bit expensive but it included your first drink so kinda evens out. Ten out of ten recommend!
Hope you enjoy this video of me and my friends having the best time ever exploring the streets of Barca! Hehe Just kidding… you millenials will remember its the hit some strut by the Cheetah Girls 2 Movie but notice a lot of the places I recommend in the video!
We all know hosting a party can really add up!! Buying food, booze, and decorations isn’t cheap. Here are my tips and tricks to save that money and still host the BEST CHRISTMAS PARTY EVER !!!!
Food and Drink
- Make it a potluck (mainly appetizers)
- Pick cocktails that can use cheaper liquors or make the event BYOB
- Base your foods around ingredients that are in season to save grocery money
- Cook small things instead of buying food
- Use what you already have decoration wise
- If you don’t have a lot of Christmas decorations, you can DIY tons of them!!
- Do either Kris Kringle or cookie exchange instead of gift giving
- Use cheap Christmas dollar store plates for a pretty but cheap alternative to china or glass (and easier clean up too!)
- Create some free Christmas themed games such as pin the nose on the reindeer or Christmas movie trivia
- Stick to a budget and list out what you need to buy before you go out to avoid wasting money
- Don’t give a fancy invite. Not sure if people really send invitations to these anymore, but if so, e-vites or Facebook events will save you a lot of money and time too!