I love Christmas movies. Love, love, love them! I make a huge list every year and always know approximately what order I plan to watch them in and who I need to watch specific ones with. This is my list of the best Christmas movies, broken up into categories for you.(more…)
The Perfect Gift! It may sound impossible but I promise it’s out there. I don’t mean to brag but I’ve mastered a method that gets the perfect gift every time. I’m not gonna lie it does take effort and some thinking but that’s what makes it perfect… the thoughtfulness that you put into the gift. ( LOL that’s cheesy…let’s just get into it)
I have major categories I like to follow when I think of gifts I can buy for someone. These categories can fit anyone you’re buying for…Grandma, best friend, boyfriend and I like to cross some off right off the bat depending on the person.
Here are my categories:
- Shoes (slippers)
- Electronics (tones of phone accessories out there to make everyone’s life that much easier)
- Hobbies (are they into Yoga? Golf? Tennis? Baking?)
- Memorabilia (sports fans? Tv show fans? – one tree hill or friday night lights)
Know What’s Out There
When I’m buying for a specific person, I think of my categories and I immediately cross out some categories so I narrow down the search for the perfect gift. For my mom… I know she’s not in need of any more jewelry, and definitely not electronics because she’s overwhelmed by the electronics she already has, so adding to it would not be the perfect gift. So even though a google home is a popping gift in recent years it’s still not something that she would find useful. Cosmetics I’m going to cross out because she likes to buy her own (so that she can get the Sephora beauty insider points 😉 but if say an eyeshadow palette is what she wanted I would check what’s out there and then investigate as I like to call it, which would be the listen and pay attention step. See what kind of palette’s she already has, what colors she likes/wears? Or if she wants a palette for special occasions…Know what’s out there is important so that you have an idea of what your working with and the price range. Trust me the bells will ring faster when your at the listening stage if you know what’s out there. This is just a quick scroll on the internet or a walk around the store.
Listen Listen Listen
Listen to them when they speak because they will subconsciously give you hints. For Nicola’s birthday I got her a small pair of dainty earrings because I knew she wanted to start wearing more earrings but didn’t like them being too big and bulky so that’s what I went searching for. Also listen closely if the person you are buying for has ever complimented something you are wearing or doing. Earlier last month I went hiking with my mom and she complimented my long sleeve athletic shirt and guess what she’s getting for Christmas…her own cute long sleeve shirt for cold hikes or to layer for skiing. When she’s warm and stylish on the hills she’ll think of me 😉
You may be thinking that listening is the same as paying attention well yes they go hand in hand. Once you have that hint like the earrings or the long sleeve active shirt you gotta observe…what’s their style? Do they like geometric shapes? What colors? Are they big logo or a small logo kinda people? And most importantly don’t get them something they already have! If they already have geometric earrings don’t get them another pair…but take note that they like a style that has defined points and lines. Or if you’re not sure…give them an experience or activity that has to do with one of the categories that they have never done before. My old roommate in university loves lipstick and has an enormous collection so instead of adding to the collection a colour that she may already have. I decided to take her to a lipstick lab where she gets to create her own colour and make her own lipstick. That way we spend time together and she gets too create a colour she loves.
Those are my three simple steps to finding the perfect gift for those special someone’s in your life. Remember this is the best time of year so make sure you are not putting too much stress on yourself, just open your ears, the hints are all there!
Happy shopping pals!
P.S. I’ll post gift guides for each category to help y’all a little more.
I love lists! During this time of year…it’s all about lists and checking them twice. It’s the most wonderful time of the year… but also the most busiest, so let’s sing it all together now… TIS THE SEASON OF LISTS!
With all the craziness that comes with this month I sometimes feel like I don’t have enough time to do everything or feel overwhelmed and forget to do so here’s a list to follow and not cram in everything on the 23rd and 24th like me in previous years. Of course this is the order I’m going to try and follow but of course cater it to your lifestyle and availability. These are also very low budget ones
- THE CHRISTMAS TREEEE! Put it up pals !! Or decorate a pineapple or a cactus. Even a festive fig tree if that’s what you have!
- Watch the Victoria Secret Fashion Show…ok I know some of you are like urg I hate watching it, makes me feel so bad about myself, but I LOVE watching it haha one year I actually cried because I thought it was just so inspiring to see girls working hard and achieving their goals.
- Write and Mail Out Christmas cards! I have never written my own, just tagged onto my parents… and I still will haha for some but now that some of my friends are living away from their parents home and some living with their significant others, and some abroad I’m thinking why not…it’s fun and personal
- Clean out unused toys, and clothes to donate
- Mail out Christmas Cards… and if you want mail out a quick little note to Santa 😉 !
- Check out the department window displays as well as the instore decorations. These are my favvvvoorite don’t forget to take some pics. I love the Hudson Bay ones in down town toronto
- Watch your favorite christmas movie… a little confession and I know I’m not the only one but Elf is in the background of everything I do…brushing my teeth you bet buddy is right there with me!
- Put together a gingerbread house…hehe see how I wrote ‘’Put’’ ahah not make, spend a little on the gingerbread kit so you save a little time on putting together all the ingrediants and waiting for the process
- Go skating – check for free nights or discounted nights at the indoor skating rinks or lucky for us who live in the cold have those free outdoor skating rink (obvs when it’s cold enough and the ice is thick enough)
- Take a walk around a new neighborhood and check out the christmas lights.
- Go to a Christmas Market – Bring Cash! To two reasons – most huts and stations can take debit or credit but bring cahs becuase it will help you stay on budget. When at a christmas market it can be easy to get carried away and tap tap tap the credit at lot of food stations.
- Have egg nog and rhum!
- Read twas the night before Christmas
- Craft an ugly christmas sweater or just buy one…lots cheap ones out there.
- Do a random act of Kindness #RAOK
- Have a board game night with friends and/or family
- Go to a Christmas Craft show – before buying from box stores see if you can find gifts that are hand made and locally crafted
- Donate to the local food drive
- Make a christmas ornament…wouldn’t it be cute if you made one every year and through the years you’ll create a collection and have something fun to reflect upon
- Bake Christmas treats for the office, an office, any office…if you don’t work in an office then your workplace, or if you have no workplace, maybe bring some treats to the local humane society for the workers, just maybe call in advance in case they have and special requirements.
- Listen to carolers or join in on the carolers… up to you
- Some family time, friend time, or alone time doing a puzzle in front of the fire whether that be with real wooden logs or a tv fire with a candle it all works
- Do another Random Act of Kindness ! #RAOK It’s officially the first day last minute shoppers begin their shopping so whether you’re one with the madness (me) or at home relaxing cuz you planned ahead (must be nice) don’t forget
- Last day before Christmas Day! Before the storm of insta stories of everyone sharing their new toys…remember to be grateful so on the 24th journal or jot down in a notepad a couple things you are grateful for this Christmas.
Happy Holidays! Happy Decemeber! Merry Christmas!
I hope this list serves as an your holiday advent calender! Check our insta @thebrokegirlsofficial to follow along and tag us so we can do it together!